September 9, 2023
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (to thicken)
For the Tofu:
- 1 block (14-16 oz) extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Rice Bowl:
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup snow peas, trimmed and halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Teriyaki Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup (or agave), rice vinegar, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 1-2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry. This will be used to thicken the sauce later.
- Prepare the Tofu:
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the tofu cubes to the skillet and cook until they become golden brown on all sides, turning them occasionally. This should take about 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the prepared teriyaki sauce over the tofu and stir well to coat.
- Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little water to reach your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the Rice Bowl:
- Divide the cooked rice among serving bowls.
- Arrange the steamed broccoli, julienned carrots, sliced red bell pepper, snow peas, and green onions on top of the rice.
- Top with Teriyaki Tofu:
- Spoon the teriyaki tofu over the rice and vegetables.
- Garnish and Serve:
- Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve your vegan teriyaki tofu rice bowl hot and enjoy!
Feel free to customize your rice bowl with other veggies or add some crushed red pepper flakes for extra heat if you prefer. Enjoy your delicious and healthy vegan meal!